PRFAA | Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration



Are there any visa requirements for visiting Puerto Rico?
For U.S. citizens, traveling to and from Puerto Rico is no different than traveling to and from other U.S. states and territories.  No U.S. passport is necessary for a U.S. citizen traveling to Puerto Rico, or returning from Puerto Rico. However, some form of identification, such as a driver’s license, an identification card issued by a state or Federal agency or an original birth certificate, should be carried for identification purposes.

For immigration purposes, traveling from the continental United States to Puerto Rico does not constitute an exit from the U.S. as long as the flight goes directly from any state to Puerto Rico.  Likewise, when coming to the U.S. mainland from Puerto Rico, travelers do not have to go through Immigration, as long as the flight comes directly from Puerto Rico to any state. 
However, as in any other U.S. state or territory, immigration enforcement agencies have the authority to interview people to verify legal status.  It is a legal requirement for aliens lawfully present in the U.S., including Puerto Rico, to be in possession of the appropriate visa or official documentation establishing their legal immigration status.

Arriving in Puerto Rico from a foreign country is the same as arriving in any other part of the U.S.  Therefore, persons who are not U.S. citizens, or alien residents traveling to Puerto Rico from any other country, should contact the U.S. State Department about visa and other requirements for entry into the U.S. (

What rules apply to pets traveling to Puerto Rico?
The requirements for pets are: 1) Tag with name of pet, owner's name and telephone number, and 2) Rabies quarantine certificate from veterinary doctor stating that pet has had a rabies shot. For more information contact the Veterinary Division of the Puerto Rico office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Puerto Rico office, at (787) 766-6050 or (787) 766-6063

What is the official currency of Puerto Rico?
As in all other U.S. states and territories, the U.S. Dollar is the official currency used in Puerto Rico.

How do I transport an automobile to and from Puerto Rico?
Persons moving into Puerto Rico and needing to transport an automobile to the island from the U.S. should call the Office of Excise Taxes at (787) 721-6237, (787) 721-0338, or (787) 721-1389  for an estimate and more information.